Saturday 10 January 2015

Brilliant Yoga Idea: Go Easy On Studio Time And Get Outdoors



I am going to start a series of posts with some brilliant yoga ideas.

I think they are brilliant.

You can make up your own mind.

My first brilliant idea is for you to give up your studio time for a week and exchange it for yoga time in the great outdoors.

The bare naked sky above you is good for you.  That ceiling and those walls just contain you.

The breeze on your face is good for you.  That air conditioning (or heating) just dries you out.

The ground beneath your feet--be it grass or dirt or sand is good for you.  Wooden floors are nice, don't get me wrong, but they are inside!! [see points above].

When you practice outside beneath an open blue sky you look up and feel almost as though you are a part of it.

It's breath-taking.

When you open your eyes from savasana to behold a starry night you can't help but feel at peace.

It's awe inspiring.

When you start your pre-dawn practice and watch the sun rise, you feel the sun's rays shimmering on your skin.

It's radiant.

When you practice in nature you are continually amazed by the beauty of the world around you.

No matter what wallpaper is pasted, what music is played, or what statues are placed, I will never find a better place to practice than the great outdoors.




On days when I feel exhausted, I always feel better if I just open a window or door.

On days when I think I can't practice, I simply step outside and find myself drawn to move or sit quietly and meditate.

It might be freezing, it might be boiling.  It might be windy, it might be raining.

I simply pop my head outside and figure out what I need to wear and where I can be as sheltered as necessary without 'succumbing' to the elements.

It can be hard.  Sometimes you need to be creative.  But it is always worth my while.

Why don't you try for yourself?  Expose yourself to nature rather than hide away indoors and feel yourself embraced by nature.

Happy and safe and brilliant practicing.  See you outdoors somewhere in Canberra, Sri Lanka or Bali soon!

much metta,
Samantha

www.yogacafecanberra.blogpost.com
www.artofliferetreats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment